Zeynal Iba Akparov
Doctor on Agrarian Sciences
Correspondent Member of ANAS, Honored Science Worker
National Coordinator on Biodiversity and PGRFA
Address: 155, Azadlig ave., AZ1106, Baku, Azerbaijan
Tel.: (+994 12) 562 91 71; (+994 50) 611 47 40
Fax: (+994 12 ) 449 92 21
Birthday – 1952, 27 September
Birthplace – Jalilabad district, Azerbaijan
EDUCATION, SCIENTIFIC DEGREES
1973-1978 - Graduate from Agriculture University (Ganja) with honours diploma.
1978-1981 – PhD student of the Azerbaijan Research Institute of Crop Husbandry (physiologist)
1987 – Had got PhD degree at the Academy of Sciences of Moldova, Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry
2010 - Had got Dr.Sc. degree at the Azerbaijan Research Institute of Crop Husbandry (RICH)
Title of Dr.Sc. thesis: “Azerbaijan Plant Genetic Resources Study and Utilization in Breeding”
1981-1988 – Junior scientistat RICH
1988-1992 – Seniorscientistat RICH
1992-2000 - Head of laboratory, deputy director at RICH
2000-2002 - Councilor at the Competitive Grants Program of the World Bank's Project on Credit and Development in Agriculture
From 2002, up to date – Director of the Genetic Resources Institute
RESEARCH AREA AND INTERESTS
Study, collection, conservation and sustainable use of PGR, breeding, new Technologies on scientific basis of cultivation technology, photosynthesis characteristics of plants etc.
INTERNATIONAL EVENTS (CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS, MEETINGS)
1996 – Fourth FAO International Technical Conference on Plant Genetic Resources (Leipzig, Germany)
2000 – V International Wheat Conference (Budapest, Hungary)
2005 – International Conference on CWR (Agrigento, Italy)
2006 – International Conference on “Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (Santiago, Chili)
2006 – International Conference on Problems of Wheat Evolution (Mexico)
2010 – VII International Wheat Conference (Sankt-Petersburg, Russia)
2010 – International Conference on (Climate Change and Food Security (Amman, Jordan)
2011 – The First International Symposium on Wild Relatives of Subtropical and Temperate Fruit and Nut Crops (Davis, California, USA)
2011 – International Scientific and Practical Conference “In situ/On farm conservation and use of agrobiodiversity (fruit crops and wild fruit species) in Central Asia”, (Tashkent, Uzbekistan).
2003-2011 – Meetings and workshops of the ECPGR in different countries
1995-2011 – Meetings and workshops of the CAC Regional Coordination Council in different countries
1995-2011 – Meetings of CGIAR in different countries
2002-2010 – Meetings and workshops of the UPOV in different countries
2011-13 – Member of Scientific Committees of the international conferencesin USA, India, China, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan etc.
Laws of Azerbaijan Republic on“Breeding Achievements”, “Seed production”, “Conservation and Sustainable Use of Crop Genetic Resources”; and
One of authors of:
1996 – I National Report on PGRFA of Azerbaijan
1996 – National Program of Azerbaijan on PGR
2004 – I National Report on State of Biodiversity of Azerbaijan (CBD)
2006 – National Strategy and Action Plan on Preservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity (Adopted by the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan)
2006 – II National Report on PGRFA and establishment of National Information Sharing Mechanism
2004-2011 – Development of the National Genbank of PGR and collection of national seed gene-pool there.
2012 – National Strategy on PGRFA
2009-2010 - Ərzaq və Kənd Təsərrüfatı Bitki Genetik Ehtiyatları üzrə Dünya Hesabatının hazırlanması,
2004-2006 – Establishment of the Scientific Stations in Sheki and Lerik districts of Azerbaijan, Protected area “Zuvand” in Lerik district
He organized and managed a lot of international plant explorations took placed in Azerbaijan:
1999 and 2001, with scientists from Germany, Russia, Iran,
2003 and 2010,with scientists from Japon, Russia,
2004, with scientists from Australia and Syria,
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,with scientists from USA,
2009, with scientists from Slovakia,
2010, with scientists, Spain, Russia,
2011-13, with scientist from Netherlands etc.
TRAINING of SPECIALISTS and PhD STUDENTS
Supervisor of studies of 2 Dr.Sc. and 8 PhD students.
He is organizer of more than 30 and main instructor of the 12 national training courses on PGR in AR.
He organized trainings of more than 20 young Azeri scientists in international centers in abroad.
OTHER POSITIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- National Coordinator on Biodiversity (CBD Coordinator)
- Member of Steering Committee of ECPGR
- Head of CAC Regional Coordination Council on PGR
- National Coordinator on PGRFA and in WIEW System
- Head of section of the Problem Council on Genetic Resources of Biodiversity, Department of Biological Sciences of ANAS
- Member of the Problem Council of the Agrarian Department of ANAS
- Member of the editorial board of the journal of National Academy of Sciences (Biological Sciences)
- Member of the editorial board of the journal “Azerbaijan Agrarian Science”
- Member of the Expert Council under the Ministry of Agriculture
- The editor of scientific publications of the Genetic Resources Institute
- Head of the Republican Society of “Preservation of Biodiversity”
- Head of the Scientific-Technical Council on CGR of Azerbaijan
As National Coordinator on Biodiversity and PGRFA he has good relations and collaborations with main international centers, scientific organizations like FAO, “Bioversity International”, ICARDA, CIMMYT, UPOV, USDA, VİR, İNRA etc.
MAIN RESULTS OF HIS RESEARCHES
Research activities of Dr. Akparov are devoted to study, collection, conservation (in situ and ex situ), restoration and sustainable use of PGR, development of scientific bases of their usage in breeding.
- For the first time conceptual models of phased activity in the field of plant genetic resources of Azerbaijan were proposed. They allow directing and coordinating researches, assess the genetic diversity of plants, find the optimal solutions for reliable conservation and efficient use, as well as organization of management and development of PGR.
- Scientific recommendations for the conservation of rare and endangered species were prepared.
- It is shown that there is a negative correlation between genetic disorders arising from different modes of seed drying, and plant resistance. On this basis, for legumes developed a method for predicting the probability of genetic risk of applied modes of seed drying.
- It was established that the rate of seed germination may be a functional criterion of their potential viability. This has been experimentally confirmed in the identified significant differences in the potential viability of seeds, even in accessions of the same plant species differing only in origin.
- As a result of studies of viability and longevity of seeds carried on samples of plants from different taxonomic groups, a new approach was proposed, experimental models with high resolution capability were created and quantitative criteria for diagnostic and prognostic evaluation of the potential viability and genetic longevity of seeds were developed.
- The significance of the method of selection of initial breeding material of different origin based on its morphological parameters was substantiated and the main structural elements and the pattern of the relationship between these attributes was determined.
- Characteristic changes of morphological and economically important traits and features of adaptation of varieties arised in the process of evolution and breeding were revealed.
- Morphological parameters of the complex valuable traits of high-yielding varieties were defined and optimal model schemes of their choice in accordance with soil and climatic conditions of the Republic were created.
- On varieties with different seed productivity peculiarities of donor-acceptor relations were revealed and it was shown that varieties of ideal type with optimal morphological characteristics when cultured under favorable conditions were capable of more complete realization of its biological potential.
- Among the plant material collected on expeditions or obtained through the introduction of stored in genebank was conducted selection of accessions of interest as a genetic source of tolerance, seed production and other economically important traits.
- Varieties of soya “AZNIIZ 276”, chikpea “Narmin”, lentil “Arzu”, peanut “Cherez” etc. are created, which are relevant to the model parameters of ideal type.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND MONOGRAPHS
He is the author of more than 120 scientific publications (46 of them in abroad), 5 books (3 of them in abroad), as well as 3 monographs, 3 booklets.
- Алиев Дж.А., Акперов З.И. Фотосинтез и урожай сои. Москва: Издат.Ком. «Родник», 1995, 126 с.
- Frese L., Akparov Z., Burenin V., Arjmand M. and Hajiyev V. Plant exploration in the Talysch Mountains // Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter, Roma, No.126, 2001, p.21-26
- Əliyev C.Ə., Əkpərov Z.İ. Azərbaycanın bitki genetik ehtiyatları // AMEA-nın Xəbərləri, Biologiya Elmləri Seriyası, Bakı, 2002, N 1-6, səh. 57-68.
- Akparov Z.I., Khidirova E. Following Almond Footprints in Azerbaijan // In: Following Almond Footprints (Amygdalus communis L.), a publication of the International Society for Horticultural Science, Rome, 2006, p. 24-28
- Акперов З.И., Мамедов А.Т. Информационная система по генетическим ресурсам растений Азербайджана // Ж-л «Современные проблемы науки и образовани», Moskva, 2007, № 6, с.9-13.
- Əliyev C.Ə., Əkpərov Z.İ., Məmmədov A.T. Bioloji Müxtəliflik. Bakı: “Elm” nəşriyyatı, 2008, 232 s.
- Əkpərov Z.İ. Bitki genetik ehtiyatlarının mühafizəsinin elmi əsasları. Bakı: “Təknur”, 2009, 123 s.
- Əkpərov Z.İ., Əsgərov A.M. Üçbölümlü arpa (Hordeum aegiceras Nees ex Royle) Qafqaz florası üçün yeni növdür // AMEA-nın məruzələri, Bakı, 2009, LXV cild, N6, s.95-97.
- Babayeva S., Akparov Z., Abbasov M. et al. Diversity analysis of Central Asia and Caucasian lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) germplasm using SSR fingerprinting // Genet Resour Crop Evol., 2009, 56:293–298
- Акпаров З.И., Аскеров А.М., Мамедовa Р.Б., Кадыров И.Г., Мамедов А.Т. Редкие и исчезающие дикие сородичи культурных растений флоры Абшерона и Кобустана // Бюллетень Никитского ботанического сада, 2009, Вып. 99, с. 26-30
- Акпаров З.И. Агроэкологические проблемы и агрообиоразнообразие сельскохозяйственных систем // Радиологические и агроекологические исследования, Том VI, Тбилиси, 2009, с.82-84
- Babayeva S.M., Akparov Z.I., Mammadov A.Ch. Genetic Variation in CAC Lentil Germplasm Assessed by Microsatellites (SSRs) // AMEA-nın Məruzələri, Bakı, 2009, №1, s. 88-98.
- Акперов З.И., Мехтизаде Э.Р., Мамедова С.А. Прогноз генетической долговечности семян // Вестник Российской Академии Сельскохозяйственных Наук, Москва, 2010, № 4, с. 46-48.
- Акпаров З.И., Мамедов Х.И. Прогностическая модель морфобиологических признаков для высокоурожайных сортов арахиса // Ж-л «Аграрная наука», Moskva, 2010, № 5,
- Batello C., Avanzato D., Akparov Z., Kartvelishvili T., Melikyan A. Gardens of biodiversity: Conservation and use of genetic resources for food and agriculture in the Southern Caucasus. FAO, Roma, 2010, 363 p.
- Mustafayev E., Kumari S., Attar N., Akparov Z. Viruses infecting chickpea and lentil crops in Azerbaijan / Australian Plant Pathology, Vol.40, No.6, 2011, 612-620.
- N.Maxted, Z.Akparov, M.Aronsson et al. Current and Future Threats and Opportunities Facing European Crop Wild relative and Landrace Diversity. Agrobiodiversity Conservation: Securing the Diversity of Crop Wild Relatives and Landraces (eds N. Maxted et al.) CAB International 2012. p. 333-353